- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds, crushed
- Pinch of saffron threads (optional)
- 4 sweet peppers, any color (about 1 pound), cut into 2″ strips
- 2 baby or Asian eggplants (about 1/2 pound), quartered lengthwise, or 1/2 large eggplant, cut into 2”x1″ pieces
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cup torn fresh basil leaves
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, coriander, cumin, and saffron, if using; cook, stirring often, until garlic is softened, about 4 minutes.
Add sweet peppers and eggplants; season with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing occasionally, until vegetables are tender, 15-20 minutes.
Remove from heat and add vinegar. Just before serving, add basil and toss to combine.
TIP: Vegetables can be cooked 4 days ahead. Cover; chill. Bring to room temperature before adding basil and serving.